The Minnesota Department of Transportation closed Minnesota Highway 55 between Buffalo and Rockford Monday, July 9, as the state begins a seven-week reconstruction process on the roadway today.
A detour is in place and takes commuters and drivers from Rockford (on the east) down through Delano and back north via U.S. Highway 12 and Minnesota Highway 25, but those who took the detour this morning said backups – especially in the city of Delano – were common and the route added more than 30 minutes to some commutes.
Some highlights of the project:
- Reconstruct Hwy 55 (full-depth reclamation) from Division Street in Buffalo to Autumn Oaks/Electric Dr in Rockford, includes shoulders and turn lanes
- Replace or repair underground culverts and cattle passes
- Replace guardrail
- Resurface Highway 55 in Rockford from Autumn Oaks/Electric Drive to east of Main Street at the Crow River, includes shoulders and turn lanes
- Install a center left-turn lane at Highway 55/Walnut Place
- Upgrade pedestrian sidewalks and approach ramps from Ash Street to Main Street
- Upgrade the signal at Highway 55/Main St with a left-turn flashing yellow arrow
Commuters can subscribe to project email updates. Wright County and the DOT will send out the latest news about traffic and detour changes.